To help drive the discovery and optimization of the neurovascular/BBB-focused pharmaceuticals, NeuVasQ is looking for a (Senior) Scientist in Protein Engineering. The person in this role will join the Discovery team.
The position is based in the Brussels South Charleroi Biopark, Belgium.
- Drive the discovery, optimization and early development of newly engineered proteins and antibodies that activate specific pathways associated with the function of the BBB
- Leverage structural biology insights as well as known protein interactions to propose novel protein and antibody designs
- Work with other scientists in the Discovery team to develop in vitro and cell-based assays to allow primary and secondary screens of protein and antibody libraries at high-throughput
- Design, synthesize, and screen/evaluate protein and antibody libraries to identify and select the most promising constructs
- Conduct comprehensive physico-chemical and functional characterizations of selected proteins and antibodies and implement sequence optimization strategies to improve performance against target profiles and criteria
- Collaborate with other scientists for the in vivo evaluation of selected proteins and antibodies in relevant disease models
- Establish and oversee collaborations with CROs where relevant, e.g. to increase scale and/or throughput
- Solid expertise in structural biology and protein chemistry, with a proven track record of protein and antibody engineering to generate novel therapeutics
- Experience developing protein and antibody agonists that target membrane proteins and signalling pathways
- Deep knowledge and experience with a range of protein engineering approaches, including rational design, screening and selection methods
- Deep knowledge and experience with distinct antibody formats, including nanobodies
- Knowledge of critical issues in drug discovery
- Strong sense of practical execution, with focus on achieving company milestonesTeamwork experience, preferably in a biotech start-up environment
- At least 5 years of proven industry experience in the discovery and engineering of both novel therapeutic protein and antibodies
- A Ph.D. degree, plus post-doctoral or similar experience, in biochemistry, structural biology, chemical engineering, molecular biology, chemistry, or similar fields.
- The challenge and excitement of an expanding start-up
- Close collaboration with the founders and a great international team of experts in science
- The possibility to boost your experience and career
- You will join a highly motivated, international and dynamic team